Re: New I-D: draft-koch-subject-tags-considered-00.txt

2004-11-19 15:08:53

Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

if anyof (address :contains ["From", "Sender", "Return-Path", "To",
"CC", "Bcc"] "ietf-822", header :contains ["List-Post", "List-ID"]
"ietf-822") {
        fileinto "INBOX.IETF-822";
        stop;
}

it will not do the right thing with forwarded or resent messages or
messages sent to multiple lists to which you are subscribed.

That depends on one's definition of "the right thing".

true.  but I suspect it doesn't even fit _your_ definition of the right
thing.

for instance, if the same message is sent to both ietf-822 and ietf-smtp,
do you really want them both filed into the same mailbox?

Cross-posting duplicates seem to be a subjective matter, so arguable,
some people could actually want that behaviour.

However, in this case, I suspect the server suppresses duplicates by
default, so there would not be two copies.

Even if there were two copies on the server, the MUA could be
suppressing duplicates, so the user would only read it once.

I'm not sure there is an objective "right thing" when it comes to
issues like how to manage your e-mail.

Regards,
Simon