Re: New I-D: draft-koch-subject-tags-considered-00.txt

2004-11-29 07:34:42

On Mon November 22 2004 06:07, Charles Lindsey wrote:

Yes, but you are being somewhat selective in your quotations from RFC
2822,

Yes, RFC 2822 covers a lot of ground; I selected the appropriate
parts concerning the defined syntax and semantics of the field
under discussion.

because it _does_ give some sort of approval to the "Re: " hack.

No, (as is sometimes the case where "MAY" is used) it states
an obvious fact;  true the Subject field body may start with
"Re: " -- it may also start with "Blurfl" or any other content
consistent with the defined (viz. unstructured) syntax.  Once
a message has been sent, there is no defined meaning (in a
protocol sense) to any part of a Subject field; users (or UA
authors) can make guesses, but guesses are sometimes wrong
and play no role in a well-designed protocol.