Re: Attempts at establishing harmful conventions

2004-11-30 15:50:08

On Tue November 30 2004 12:06, Keith Moore wrote:

For completeness we should also include the FTC's mandated
SEXUALLY-EXPLICIT: tag.

Sure.  And the various proposals for "Adv", etc.

I do think there's a significant difference between conventions for the
Subject field that the message author (or the author's MUA) uses to
indicate information about the content, and alterations to the Subject
field that are done by intermediaries.

There may be a distinction in the mind of a message author or
UA software author.  But once the message is sent, there's no
way to reliably differentiate "a short string identifying the topic
of the message" from any cruft that may have been added (as
demonstrated by the various "Re: " examples).  Once cruft gets
added, all the king's horses and all the king's men can't separate
cruft from topic.