Re: Attempts at establishing harmful conventions

2004-11-30 16:59:39

At 6:27 PM -0500 11/30/04, Keith Moore wrote:
what's broken is something else - perhaps our expectation that all messages in a thread should have the same subject.

Users often reply to mail in order to start a new thread with the same set of folks in it. Sometimes they change the subject when they do this, sometimes they don't. You can bet they NEVER edit the References or In-Reply-To fields before they send the mail (a few members of this mailing list excepted, no doubt).

So if you don't consider subject when doing threads, you lose one thing that users actually DO occasionally use to mark a new topic.
--
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?