Re: New I-D: draft-koch-subject-tags-considered-00.txt

2004-11-19 11:07:08

Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

Here is a Sieve language snippet for
identifying an ietf-822 list message:

if anyof (address :contains ["From", "Sender", "Return-Path", "To",
"CC", "Bcc"] "ietf-822", header :contains ["List-Post", "List-ID"]
"ietf-822") {
        fileinto "INBOX.IETF-822";
        stop;
}

arrgh.  if this is sufficient for your purposes, great - but it's not a
good idea in general to recommend using header fields for this purpose.
it will not do the right thing with forwarded or resent messages or
messages sent to multiple lists to which you are subscribed.

you really want to file things based on envelope information, like MAIL
FROM or (with subaddresses) RCPT TO.

Using List-ID for this purpose seem perfectly fine to me.  Here's my
Sieve snippet for this list [1]:

if header :contains "List-Id" "ietf-822.imc.org" {
        fileinto "INBOX.rfc822";
}

I agree that using any other header would be unreliable.

The problem with writing Sieve rules with envelope tests, is that the
envelope information might not always be available.  So if you ever
want to re-spool your mail through a Sieve script later, writing the
tests for header information, rather than envelope information, may be
more reliable.  If I understood correctly, Sieve was not designed
exclusively for initial delivery filtering.

Regards,
Simon

[1] I don't subscribe to the list these days, since I read through
gmane.org, but that's beside the point.