Re: Handling of NO-WS-CTL in 2822bis

2007-12-04 11:29:28

On 12/3/07 at 2:51 PM -0800, ned+ietf-822(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

I believe that the best course of action is to remove NO-WS-CTL from the generate syntax, leaving it in the interpret syntax. This includes its use in quoted-pair/qtext, ctext, and dtext.

Let me explain what is involved in doing this. If people are OK with this, I'll go ahead. To remove NO-WS-CTL, we need to:

- Remove NO-WS-CTL from ctext, qtext, utext, and dtext. (That makes utext simply VCHAR.) - Create obs-ctext, obs-qtext, and obs-dtext which contain NO-WS-CTL. (Question: Should they contain NUL as well?)
- Add NO-WS-CTL to obs-utext.
- Change quoted-pair to use "WS / VCHAR" instead of "text".
- Change section 2.2 to say that header fields only contain VCHARs.
- Change much of the text in the beginning of section 4 to add talk of NO-WS-CTL.

Is everyone sure they want to do this? Do we think this will recycle at Proposed? It is effectively removing what we think is an unused feature from the document in anticipation of Draft, but it is a significant textual change.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102