Re: [ietf-822] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-00.txt

2020-09-15 13:24:04
On 15 Sep 2020, at 10:59, Dave Crocker wrote:

On 9/15/2020 5:21 AM, Pete Resnick wrote:
Someone asked me about this feature some years ago when social media was becoming popular and I suggested simply adding a disposition to Message Disposition Notification (RFC 8098, STD 85). The machinery is already in some systems, MDNs give you the ability to easily get back to the source message through Message-ID,

So does normal reply functions.

Most, though I know of several clients (web-based and mobile) that don't do In-Reply-To and References correctly. That said, those likely don't support MDN either, there's going to have to be some UI added to get this useful, so it is probably a wash.

How does the person who is reacting also add a comment or extended text or..., if they want to?

In the body of the message. Remember, MDNs are multipart/report. If you look in the examples in 8098 you'll see a text part (normally presented to the user as a normal message) followed by the message/disposition-notification part which contains the details of the original message and a "Disposition", which in this case could contain "reaction", and some additional information indicating the type of reaction.

No new mechanism needed and I think somewhat quicker deployment. It would probably just take an Informational document with a pointer to STD 85.

I think that if you break down the implementation details carefully, you'll find that the effort for my proposal and the effort for yours will be about the same. They sit on top of different 'interfaces, but the effort to add to them probably isn't very different.

That's probably true. Either way, you'd want a bit of new UI on both ends too. I know some clients already have UI for pushing the "I read this" button and generate an MDN in response. Changing that to a drop-down list of reactions and adding a different disposition parameter seems pretty straightforward.

Except that your proposal adds a capability that has less flexibility.

Actually, I think quite the opposite. You get the comment or extended text, plus a lot more flexibility to add different sorts of parameters into the message/disposition-notification part.