Re: [ietf-822] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-00.txt

2020-09-15 10:59:24
On 9/15/2020 5:21 AM, Pete Resnick wrote:
Someone asked me about this feature some years ago when social media was becoming popular and I suggested simply adding a disposition to Message Disposition Notification (RFC 8098, STD 85). The machinery is already in some systems, MDNs give you the ability to easily get back to the source message through Message-ID,

So does normal reply functions.

How does the person who is reacting also add a comment or extended text or..., if they want to?

No new mechanism needed and I think somewhat quicker deployment. It would probably just take an Informational document with a pointer to STD 85.

I think that if you break down the implementation details carefully, you'll find that the effort for my proposal and the effort for yours will be about the same. They sit on top of different 'interfaces, but the effort to add to them probably isn't very different.

Except that your proposal adds a capability that has less flexibility.