Re: [ietf-822] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-00.txt

2020-09-15 10:12:08
On 9/15/2020 5:08 AM, Bron Gondwana wrote:
Foo reacted “👍” to “I love dogs” and quotes the full text message that you sent them.  I assume there's enough smarts in some clients to find the most recent matching message and assign the reaction to it.

This is a slightly more programatic way of doing that.

It's a more /semantic/ way of doing it.

Examples such as you describe get the symbol to the original author and have language that establish the semantics of the symbol in a way that that original author can interpret, but there is nothing to signal to the /software/ what the semantic is. That's what this proposal is for.

I would suggest that the body be something like that text message - a description of the reaction and the text being reacted to (as well as having the correct In-Reply-To to thread in the right place of course).

I suggest we be careful about over-specifying this mechanism. There are is a variety of ways to use it that seem pretty reasonable.  What you suggest is only one.  I think we should let developers have the freedom to explore those variations, if they wish.  Again, it's not that the specifics of what you suggest are problematic but that locking into those details is unnecessary.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking