Re: [ietf-822] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-00.txt

2020-09-16 07:22:46
I sent this yesterday but it appears to have bounced, so I’m trying again…

Begin forwarded message:

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb(_at_)guppylake(_dot_)com>
Subject: Re: [ietf-822] New Version Notification for
draft-crocker-inreply-react-00.txt
Date: September 15, 2020 at 8:53:29 AM CDT
To: Pete Resnick <resnick(_at_)episteme(_dot_)net>
Cc: dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net, ietf-822(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

This is a promising idea, but I think it’s got an important flaw.  (John and
Bron have a point, we should specify an encoding, but that’s not the flaw I’m
focused on.)

Reactions != Emojis.  My concern is that this proposal may be making a
mistake that is the opposite of Facebook’s.  For years Facebook had only
“like” and got lots of criticism.   They added a few more reactions and they
now get a bit less criticism.  On the one hand, it seems unfair that they
have so much power that they can dictate the set of acceptable emotional
reactions for mankind.  But on the other hand, the kitchen-sink list from
Unicode.org includes so many icons that it’s not clear that people will be
able to speak a common emoji language and know what each other’s reactions
mean.    The emoji list is a vast superset of the set of shared human
reactions.  (If someone posts a message about a political rally, and someone
else responds with an icon of a stack of pancakes, what does that mean?  I
have no idea.  Or, as a color blind person, can you tell me what am I missing
if I can’t differentiate between a "green heart” emoji and an "orange heart”
emoji?)

I’m no fan of Facebook, but they have kept the set of emojis down to
something that is pretty much universally comprehensible.  I think it’s worth
considering whether we can create a set that is less restrictive than
facebook’s, but remains close to universally comprehensible.  It’s tempting
to say that emojis are trivial, but if the Internet is all about facilitating
human communication, a common emotional language for reactions would be a big
help.  — Nathaniel