Re: [ietf-822] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-00.txt

2020-09-15 07:09:01

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020, at 12:48, Dave Crocker wrote:
On 9/14/2020 7:41 PM, John Levine wrote:
I'd rather repurpose X-Face so we can have any reaction image we want.

Have you ever tried to repurpose established practice on the Internet?

That's why I am, instead, directly use established practice, and merely
add a new venue for it.

You see this even with text messages on some platforms now, where it says:

Foo reacted “👍” to “I love dogs” and quotes the full text message that you sent
them.  I assume there's enough smarts in some clients to find the most recent
matching message and assign the reaction to it.

This is a slightly more programatic way of doing that.  I would suggest that
the body be something like that text message - a description of the reaction
and the text being reacted to (as well as having the correct In-Reply-To to
thread in the right place of course).  A client that doesn't know about the
header gets a "Me Too!!!!" email in the thread, a client that does know can
collapse it into something clever.

For that matter a server that knew about this could suppress the email entirely
and turn it into a keyword update and some metadata on the replied-to message.

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd
  brong(_at_)fastmailteam(_dot_)com