Re: [ietf-822] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-00.txt

2020-09-15 13:51:46
On 15 Sep 2020, at 13:37, Richard Clayton wrote:

In message <FFB20A13-2B3A-4471-B4BB-6C2916F9FC35(_at_)episteme(_dot_)net>, Pete
Resnick <resnick(_at_)episteme(_dot_)net> writes

I know some clients already have UI for pushing the "I read
this" button and generate an MDN in response. Changing that to a
drop-down list of reactions and adding a different disposition parameter
seems pretty straightforward.

I have a button in my software that says "this was never delivered". It
generates a DSN ... and only someone concentrating hard on the header
fields would be able to know that in fact the email was delivered and
the DSN is telling an untruth.

My users (back when my job was to make users of my software delighted to
be using it) were very happy indeed with this feature and found it was
quite cathartic for dealing with spam, unwanted admirers and of course
gas bills.

Far better than a thumbs down image.

Perhaps cathartic, but with much spam today probably not as effective as it once was since quite a bit of it has bogus Return-Path addresses. But I have always been fond of such a feature.

That said a reminder that MDN and DSN are somewhat different mechanisms, though they both use multipart/report.

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best