Re: [Asrg] Spam detection system proposal

2003-03-05 08:47:41
On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Jim Youll wrote:

I think it can only work with a feedback mechanism so that users who
receive the first messages can "report" them somewhere.

No, the system is totally automatic.  All it reports is that IP address
x.y.z.w submitted a message with a valid RCPT TO: or invalid RCPT TO:
address.  That's it.

I think that overall, if you really want to manage spam, the mail
delivery process has to be slowed down slightly to allow received
spams at site A to be matched up with spams at B through Z and a
probability-of-spam set.

My scheme doesn't care about message content.  It merely punishes those
with a large set of invalid recipient addresses on their mailing list.
My intuition tells me spammers are more likely to have bad addresses than
legitimate bulk e-mailers.  We need experiments to see if that's true.

Two linked issues that arise are maintaining the privacy of the
original message, and determining that two messages are fundamentally
the same message, despite slight differences.

Again, I don't report or care about message content; only good or
bad RCPT TO: commands.  We don't even report actual recipient addresses.

--
David.