Re: [Asrg] Economic model is borken. (sic.) Let's fix it

2003-03-13 19:21:49

Vernon Schryver said:

If adding some headers and having filters operate on those is so
trivial, then why is it that most legitimate bulk mail still does not
contain RFC 2919 and RFC 2369 headers?  RFC 2369 is 5 years old.

Yes!  Legit bulk mailers should really try to generate
standards-compliant messages; it'd really help them avoid
becoming filter false-positives.  (I'd say most content filters,
even bayes ones that read the headers, are likely to run into
this problem.)

Good indication, BTW, that any technical solution we come
up with here, may take a long time to get into legit
bulk mail systems... :(

The most reliable RFC 2822 header indication of bulk mail is the
absense of a Message-ID header.

And, sadly, where it occurs in non-spam mail, it's a
good indicator that it's sent by a legit,
mainstream large-scale bulk mailer. :(

--j.