Re: [Asrg] Economic model is borken. (sic.) Let's fix it

2003-03-11 11:25:37
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
by using stamps, you will eliminate any need for special white listing, domain authentication, complicated dns reverse lookup rules and can be implemented quickly and easily without major changes to infrastructure.

Changing from a model in which email is free to one where there is a per message charge *IS* a major change to the infrastructure.

maybe it's a perspective difference. Adding postage to e-mail is no more difficult than adding some headers and having filters to operate on those headers. It's something that is an end client change. It does not require any changes to SMTP, mail servers, dns, or the legal system. It is well bounded/localized in terms of what must be changed. It can be implemented as an add-on proxy or a plug-in.

This is like saying that its a long way to go down the street
to the convenience store so lets climb Mount Everest instead.

well that all depends on where you are, how high you climb Mount Everest, and where the convenience store is.

Instead of taking infrastructure change as an impossible task
lets look at the reasons why.

this is a really good description and I appreciate you taking the time to write it. This is one of the reasons why I think changes to SMTP are doomed to failure.

I do
not believe that moving from a free mail system to a pay per
message system is viable.

obviously, I differ. Also remember that payment is not in terms of money but in terms of cycles which most people have an abundance of.

One question I have for you is: would you be willing to try an experiment with sender pays?

---eric