Re: [Asrg] Economic model is borken. (sic.) Let's fix it

2003-03-07 01:05:10

The reason is, that if I sent you a mail where I thought I was doing
you a favour with the mail (and this is true in much of the mail I
send to strangers, and I got back a note that said:

I will not read your mail until you:
a) Get some new software for your MUA or a whole new MUA
b) Mail me the magic token from that software
c) (with real money) pay money to get that token

Well, my answer would be to say screw you.

Is that a bug, or a feature?

I've heard a similar objection to simple confirmation whitelists, and my
answer is "feature."  If the sender values the message so little that they
won't do something simple to get it through to me, then there's no reason
that I should value it enough to read it.

Granted, the MUA update is an onerous requirement, but if it ends spam
it's worth it, and sender-pays email *would* end spam.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA