Re: [Asrg] Economic model is borken. (sic.) Let's fix it

2003-03-11 11:21:28
Vernon Schryver wrote:
No, that is not a solution, because it is based on the engineering of
wishful thinking.  So is absolutely any other idea related to the
Internet that begins with "Install X at most Internet X" when X is a
kind of hardware or software operated by 1,000 or more people.

as I have already explained in another post, I'm building something that will work even if only a single person uses it. Obviously, full effectiveness isn't reached into you have a significantly higher number but it will be effective. It's a transitional tool.

Charging for email is an exceptionally hopeless idea, because it starts
with "first a large minority of users install email stamp software
and buy stamps."  Until at least 10,000,000 people regularly stamp
their messages and require stamps on incoming mail, stamps are only
overhead that will merely cause legitimate mail to be lost.

if you had read the document I had been pointing people to, we're not talking about purchasing stamps. Stamps are generated through a proof of work puzzle known as hashcash.

In the real world, if the first "early adopter" users don't find it
useful (whatever it is), you will never have a second batch of users,
and the early adopters will soon drop it.

yup.  I agree.

---eric