Re: [Asrg] Economic model is borken. (sic.) Let's fix it

2003-03-11 11:24:31
From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj(_at_)harvee(_dot_)org>

as I have already explained in another post, I'm building something that will
work even if only a single person uses it. ...

if you had read the document I had been pointing people to, we're not talking
about purchasing stamps.  ...

You need to include a URL every time, because I don't recall anything
I'd call "hashcash" that is of any use against spam for its first
50,000,000 users.

                       Stamps are generated through a proof of work puzzle
known as hashcash.

The things I've seen described named as hashcash are hopeless for many
reasons but most obviously because the speeds of computers on the net span
a performance range of more than a factor of 1000.  Systems that spammers
can use are more than 1000 times faster than systems used by non-spammers
who need to send and receive bulk mail (albeit not as bulky as most spam).

It's probably far too early discuss any particular solution.