RE: [Asrg] The "Human-Shield" effect; the need for end-user control

2003-03-22 19:04:43
At 7:43 PM -0500 3/22/03, <asrg(_at_)bobf(_dot_)frankston(_dot_)com> wrote:
" broadband ISPs in Canada surcharge their customers for bandwidth in
excess of a monthly quota".

1 movie at 10 GB is the same as how many spam messages? Given that 100GB
will soon be the norm...

... why do people think that spam is equivalent to the end of the world
and that  we must give up free speech and be complete trackable?

Because we don't live in a fantasy world where 100GB is the norm.

In urban areas, in developed countries, you *might* continue to see the increase in bandwidth that you are talking about. But I know a lot of people who's internet connections in the past 10 years have increased by a stunning 2x. (28.8 to 56). And that's in the U.S.. Please think globally.

But, relax, it's not the end of the world.

My daughter has a fifth grade classmate who spends 15-20 minutes during lunch break cleaning the spam out of her in-box--every day. And she's not the only one doing it. Do you think those email accounts are going to be useable by the time they graduate from high school?

Nobody is looking to make everyone completely trackable. What we are aiming for is making people *accountable*. I believe it is fully possible to make a system whereby people are accountable for the email they send (by domain, or by email address, or internet connection) without having that email linked (any more than it already is--which is pretty tight, all things considered) to a physical individual.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.