Re: [Asrg] The "Human-Shield" effect; the need for end-user control

2003-03-23 18:04:10
At 12:19 PM -0800 3/23/03, william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net wrote:
 > That gets harder.  Products like ours and SpamAssassin may apply
 hundreds of rules, and what is far more important than which rule
 fires, is how the combination of results is weighted.
Actually spamassasin is quite good at reporting what has been checked as is.
I'v no problem with rules being weighted, but I'd like to know what each
resulted in. And it really not 100s of rules (not yet...), it maybe 100s
in terms of long filter list but actual top-level rules are about dozen.

That's SpamAssassin. The point is. How are you going to standardize the names of rules when, virtually by definition, the rules are constantly changing? You said the point was so that the next filter in line wouldn't run something redundantly. I don't see how that works. Filters don't work that way. You give the example of having applied a whitelist--but that's about the easiest example. And I don't see how you can put these all in a headers without ending up with a lot of junk in the headers.

 > (I'm also not a fan of adding lots of new
 > headers--but I think this has problems even before we get to that.)
Possibly. But for example mentioned spamassasin already adds headers and
so do other filtering products. Each reports in its own way, though.

Yes. That doesn't mean we should make the situation worse. I've been real careful to keep our output to one single header--and that's primarily for reporting misfiled messages.

Now if you want to have a standard way for filters to report their results--that seems like a good idea. It would certainly make the MUA developer's job easier. I just don't see the point in listing what rules fired. But a way for multiple filters to report their results in a standard way sounds good.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.