Re: [Asrg] The "Human-Shield" effect; the need for end-user control

2003-03-24 01:56:09
On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, Kee Hinckley wrote:

At 10:42 AM +0000 3/23/03, Matt Sergeant wrote:
There are some issues. Your filter server's capabilities may not be
the same as mine, for instance. But in general, the idea of a common
 mechanism for expressing your filter desires (what countries, what
languages, what's the white list, what's the blacklist, what IP's or
RBLs...) is a good idea. We have already done some preliminary work
 in this area with our product.

As have the IETF. See SEIVE.

That looks like an attempt to write a programming language for
filtering text in email format.  That is *way* more specific than
simply configuring an existing filter.  Has anyone actually
implemented it?

Yes, a few. http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/#implementations

As I said in another mail, I was thinking of this as something to build
on, rather than inventing a new syntax (even a syntax of XML).

I'd be really surprised if one could build on a language
which has the intention "...to make it impossible for users to do anything
more complex (and dangerous) than write simple mail filters"
so as to create a general mechanism for configuring arbitary filter
engines.