[Asrg] 7.c Mass Mailers, reliability, and lack thereof

2003-03-27 14:13:06
  There have been complaints by mass mailers about their emails not
reaching intended recipients.  Internet email to residential accounts is
not five-nines reliable today, never was in the past, and never will be.
Deal with it.

  The advertisers are *DEMANDING* that their spam^H^H^H^H "legitimate
commercial email" *NOT* be blocked.  This results in the more cynical
amongst us feeling that the "JamSpam" initiative might be better named
"JamSWpamDownYourThroat"

  Enough of my criticisms; have I got a better solution?  What if all
those millions of recipients *REALLY* *REALLY* *REALLY* want those
"newsletters", etc?  Personally, I think that claim is a sick joke on
par with claiming that people love to have their supper interrupted by
telemarketers.  However, I'm willing to give e-marketers the opportunity
to prove me wrong.  Let's assume, for the sake of argument, all those
people on the "Millions CDs" really *DID* want those ads.

  There is a very simple solution that would not require any
conferences, or standards, or legislation.  The email marketers could
set up their own "legitimate commercial email delivery" ISP, which they
would control, and willing "newsletter subscribers" could join that ISP.
Not only will they have the end-to-end-control necessary to guarantee
delivery of their messages to willing subscribers, but those people who
buy stock early in the new ISP will MAKE_MONEY_FAST as the stock shoots
up through the roof when millions of newsletter-starved subscribers come
crawling in on their hands and knees, begging to be allowed to join up.
The financial carnage amongst today's big ISPs will be horrendous when
people find out about all the "exciting offers" they've been missing and
abandon today's big names in droves.

  OK e-marketers, if you're really telling the truth about all your
millions of eager "double-opt-in-subscribers", this is your opportunity
to...
  - guarantee email delivery *TO WILLING RECIPIENTS ONLY*
  - and make a financial killing
  - and prove that you aren't out to JamSpamDownTheThroats of unwilling
    recipients

  I'm even willing to be there to cut the ribbon at the opening ceremony
for that ISP.  ***PUT UP OR SHUT UP***.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will