Re: [Asrg] 7.c Mass Mailers, reliability, and lack thereof

2003-03-28 22:29:13
From: "Alan DeKok" <aland(_at_)freeradius(_dot_)org>

  The 'legitimaate' emails would appear to satisfy the following
criteria:

 a) send a lot of email
 b) are willing to publicly state who they are, and why
    they're sending the email
 c) are willing to remove people from their lists
 d) try to have only 'opt-in' lists

Would most Internet push advertising professionals consider Topica
legitimate?  I suspect so, in part because Topica uses the Habeas mark
for some of their bulk mail.

As far as I can tell Topica does not really satisfy (c)--at least not
permanently. They certainly do not satisfy (d) for that part of their
bulk mail that does not carry the Habeas mark.  (I think I've fairly
recent Topica spam in my logs that does not carry the Habeas mark.)

  The amount of mail from bulk emailers who *don't* satisfy all of
those criteria is probably a thousand, to a million times worse than
the amount of mail from bulk emailers who do satisfy those criteria.

  Spam solutions should affect 'legitimate' bulk emailers as little as
possible.  But if we can agree on that, the "problem" of email from
bulk emailers is so small that it's irrelevant to the discussion about
spam.

Yes, but as far as I can tell, there are no major bulk mailers that
satisfy all four of your criteria.  Dell Computers is a poster child
for this fact of life.  Years after some owners of accounts @rhyolite.com
dealt with Dell, opted-out of mail about special offers, and eventually
cancelled their @rhyolite.com accounts, Dell started sending those
accounts monthly "newsletters" about wonderfully cheap offers.

Another example is Qwest.  Every few weeks an account I created
especially and gave Qwest repair a couple years ago is sent spam by
"Qwest partners" flogging business data services.  This drivel started
about 18 months after the need for that account.

I bet that each of the Fortune 5000 is guilty of this sort of thing.

I'm not pointing this out to criticize the Qwest, Dell or any other
marketing or sales professionals including even Topica, but only to
establish a fact of life and human nature that contradicts assumptions
or claims common in some areas.