Re: [Asrg] How to defeat spam that uses encryption?

2003-03-31 10:38:17
At 12:25 -0500 3/31/03, David F. Skoll wrote:
 > From: Jason Hihn <jhihn(_at_)paytimepayroll(_dot_)com>
 To: Asrg <asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
 Subject: [Asrg] How to defeat spam that uses encryption?

 If I were a spammer (I am not) I'd start encrypting messages to throw off
 content filtering. Public keys are easily obtainable and are readily
 associated with good email addresses.

Well, if you were a spammer and you did that, you'd soon be out of
business.  I would estimate that fewer than one in 100 e-mail users
use PGP or GnuPG at all, and even fewer than that have a public key.
So you'd drastically limit your audience.

In fact, widespread use of GPG-style encryption could help defeat
spammers.  If most people only accepted encrypted messages (except
from whitelisted mailing lists and such), it would become very
expensive to spam.  (Yes, I know this will never happen -- don't
bother replying.)

Why is this? If they've got my e-mail address they can get my public key.