RE: [Asrg] How to defeat spam that uses encryption?

2003-03-31 11:04:15

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of Jim
Youll
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 12:35 PM
To: David F. Skoll; asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] How to defeat spam that uses encryption?

At 12:25 -0500 3/31/03, David F. Skoll wrote:
 > From: Jason Hihn <jhihn(_at_)paytimepayroll(_dot_)com>
 To: Asrg <asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
 Subject: [Asrg] How to defeat spam that uses encryption?

 If I were a spammer (I am not) I'd start encrypting messages
to throw off
 content filtering. Public keys are easily obtainable and are readily
 associated with good email addresses.

Well, if you were a spammer and you did that, you'd soon be out of
business.  I would estimate that fewer than one in 100 e-mail users
use PGP or GnuPG at all, and even fewer than that have a public key.
So you'd drastically limit your audience.

In fact, widespread use of GPG-style encryption could help defeat
spammers.  If most people only accepted encrypted messages (except
from whitelisted mailing lists and such), it would become very
expensive to spam.  (Yes, I know this will never happen -- don't
bother replying.)

It was only an example. But I do wonder.. any encrypted PGP or GnuPG message
would have higher social credibility for me...

But imagine this in a message:
--- start---
[javascript]
$cypher_text="dsfjhsjdfhsdfjksdhfskjfhsd.."
function decrypt(key, cypher_text){
/* do description */
document.writeln($plain_text)
}
[/javascript]

[body onload=decrypt("aasc", $cypher_text)]
--- finish ---
Now all your filters, Bayesian or not, will only work on the actual text
seen between start and finish. No filtering will be done of the "message" -
what the user sees.  Furthermore, variable and function names are infinitely
variable, and what is not variable is standard html/js stuff and has
significant legit use.

-J