RE: [Asrg] How to defeat spam that uses encryption?

2003-03-31 12:30:16

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuq Von Rospach [mailto:chuqui(_at_)plaidworks(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 2:18 PM
To: Jason Hihn
Cc: David F. Skoll; Jim Youll; asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] How to defeat spam that uses encryption?

On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 10:25  AM, Jason Hihn wrote:

That is fascinating.  I read my mail with Pine.

You sir, are both unlucky and lucky. I was a long-time pine user, but
the
20th century has come and gone. ;-)

The vast majority of people are using Outlook.

This, I think, is a potential issue in this group: how many of the
people attempting to build these policies know what Joe User really
does, think and wants. I've seen a number of approaches and comments
that lead me to think some folks see the net as "everyone does it the
way I do it" -- there seem to be some serious blind spots, or perhaps,
tunnel vision, in the discussions. I'm not sure what can be done about
it, though, but it's an issue that needs to be kept in mind: whatever
gets built needs to be built so Joe User can use it and will use it and
does what he wants..

It shouldn't matter what the reader is. I belive there is at least the one
consensus that infratructure upgrades need to be done. Once that is done, it
should (again) no longer matter who uses what to read mail because it will
never get to them anyway.

Companies are worse, they blow money patching
and recovering from the infections that Outlook makes possible.

companies are increasingly looking for alternatives, but when you have
an existing company-wide system with a large user population and you
can't just take the system down for a week to revamp things, moving to
a new environment takes a lot of time, energy and money. Especially
since e-mail is by all measures a corporate critical function almost
everywhere now. Sometimes, the work needed to make a switch simply
overwhelms an organization's ability to do it.

And the solution to this may lay in that proposal of mine that wasn't well
received. I will work on cleaning it up. (I'm not the best writer.) Maybe
then I can get more people enthusuastic about it. I think if we got some
talent to code it, we'd have something to play with at the end of a day. I
could almost do it myself, but I have no good experience writing scalable
socket-driven apps. (Threading, I/O completion ports, etc) But I could
prototype it in some scripting language...