RE: [Asrg] How to defeat spam that uses encryption?

2003-03-31 11:31:56
That is fascinating.  I read my mail with Pine.

You sir, are both unlucky and lucky. I was a long-time pine user, but the
20th century has come and gone. ;-)

The vast majority of people are using Outlook. Outlook users know nothing,
and we can thank BillG for the lovely lack of security and common sense in
his products due to his monopoly. No one knows how to turn all that ActiveX,
Javascript, and document macros off. (Well we do, but Joe Blow doesn't, nor
do they know why they should care) They don't even know that Outlook is bad!
It's there, so they use it. Companies are worse, they blow money patching
and recovering from the infections that Outlook makes possible.

I use Mozilla, with Javascript turned off and 'Bayesian' filtering. It's
quite nice, and as filtering becomes more common place, spam will be more
tolerable. I just look at the 100s of messages I get a day and laugh now.
What do I care anymore? Filters are good enough. I get 1 sneaking through
every 4-6 days now. Eventually, I think that the net ops people will be the
only ones objecting. Better act fast and use the public's hatred of spam
before the problem disappears behind a filter! Then you'll have nothing to
leverage!

Now all your filters, Bayesian or not, will only work on the actual text
seen between start and finish.

Here's a simple rule:

      IF body contains "javascript THEN bounce.

Then sir, you'd have never gotten my message.

If that's too draconian, then:

      IF body contains "onload=" THEN bounce.

Again, you'd never have gotten my message, even though my use was only
illustrative, and quite legit.

No filtering will be done of the "message" -
what the user sees.  Furthermore, variable and function names
are infinitely
variable, and what is not variable is standard html/js stuff and has
significant legit use.