Re: [Asrg] Fwd: Returned mail: see transcript for details

2003-03-31 19:05:39
In <200303311633(_dot_)h2VGXiLt019739(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com>
Vernon Schryver <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com> writes:

From: wayne <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com>

attention.  DNSBLs in particular publish their information, so you can
check that you are indeed listed, while you can't test content
filters.

Not so.  Body filters can also announce or keep quiet about their
effects with bounces or SMTP status codes like any DNS blacklists.

Ah.  What I meant is that I can check to see if someone is in the
SPEWS DNSBL, but I can't see if a given email will be rejected as spam
by a given content filter.  This lets people scream "SPEWS IS BLOCKING
MY NEWSLETTER!!11!" and everyone can see that, indeed, the given IP
address is listed in SPEWS.  However, I have no way of knowing if
brightmail will filter the same "newsletter" as spam.

DNSBLs are much more transparent about what they are doing and I think
transparent enforcement of rules is A Good Thing.  An erronious
listing in SPEWS can be noticed and corrected, but an erronious
brightmail rule will be very hard to detect.

-wayne