Re: [Asrg] Fwd: Returned mail: see transcript for details

2003-03-31 09:27:19
On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:26:54AM -0500, Kee Hinckley wrote:
correspondent.  In the real world you would say, "I'm sorry, I don't
want to talk about this any more," or "This will be my last message
on this subject."  If the correspondent continues to respond, then

In the real world I simply turn around and go away. In the real world I
have never said "This will be my last message on this subject."
The virtual world expression is to press 'd' on the keyboard.

In the real world, if he doesn't stop offending, I have different
choices, just like in the virtual world.
Adding his address to a block is one of them. In contradiction to the
real world I can do this on my own and don't need a judge to establish
the block.

And: in the real world I may decide to sit at a table with people and
talk with them to serve a special purpose. That does not mean I
have/will talk with them outside the meeting room. I have the same right
to do this in the virtual world and "spitting them in the face" is not
the correct analogy, "ignoring them" or "rejecting them" is.

Discussing topics in a meeting room with 500 people, doesn't mean I have
to dicuss with everyone personally. And I have more than once refused to
talk with someone (who/whose opinion) I don't like (for various reasons)
from the same meeting room after the meeting. And I reserve the same
right for email communication. The reasons are up to me and as a private
person in a communication to another private person I don't even have to
explain the reasons.

And someone else argued that "in the good old days in USENET" one
responded privately and one person summarized. This never happend
with and is not appropriate for /discussion/ groups.
If I start a query in this group for pointers to articles about spam
prevention it is a good idea to ask them to be sent to me privately
and I'll summarize. That means the list doesn't have to handle 100
always the same messages from different people listing the same article.

For discussion and for finding a consensus "mail me and I'll summarize"
is pretty much useless, so, for this group it is pretty much useless
to discuss per private emails, as is Cc:ing 20 people that are on the
list and as is "top posting" (I got the previous article, thanks, I still
have it if I can't, but usually I can remember things I have read for the
next 2-3 hours at least, no need to send the unaltered 10 KB article again
and writing 2 lines of nonsense above).
[Kee: this is /not/ about you, although I am replying to your message, it is
a general statement to the mail discipline on this list and IMHO shows how
much some members on the list care about the "useless mail traffic" that we
all want to avoid - at least I thought this is what this group is about].

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299