Re: [Asrg] Fwd: Returned mail: see transcript for details

2003-03-31 08:28:41
At 11:59 PM -0700 3/30/03, Vernon Schryver wrote:
This little drama is related to the spam problem.  There is a component
of human nature that hates purposefully not being heard.  Senders of
bulk advertising are often irrationally upset about being filtered.

You skipped from "humans" to "senders of bulk advertising" very nicely there. You weren't cutting off a sender of bulk advertising. You've also missed the other side of that obvious statement--purposefully not hearing someone is considered socially rude. I've had people do that to me more than once--typically after accusing me of spamming or some other activity that I didn't do. Someone else on the list put that behavior in exactly the context it belongs. "Nah, nah... I can't hear you!" Typically with fingers in ears and tongue sticking out. The word you are looking for is "juvenile."

This whole conversation has been very educational.

Several times now we have seen people using tools meant for stopping spammers, as a way of stopping normal human conversation. And they are doing so without even the common courtesy of notifying their correspondent. In the real world you would say, "I'm sorry, I don't want to talk about this any more," or "This will be my last message on this subject." If the correspondent continues to respond, then you ignore them. But somewhere along the line the hardcore spam fighters have gotten so used to blocking messages that they believe it's socially acceptable to just bounce people's email when they feel like it. They have a hammer, and they've decided to use it on anything that looks like a nail.

If this is going to be typical of people's use of anti-spam tools then I think we should give some serious thought to the UI of such tools.

For instance, our product doesn't currently bounce messages, but files them in a junk folder. We've recently added an "unsubscribe" feature for mailing lists and other mail where we are reasonably confident that the return address is valid. So rather than doing an outright bounce, we first give you the option of sending mail to the sender (and we'll track the results to see if it works) asking them to stop sending you email. If we add the ability to outright bounce email, I think I'll make that initial "unsubscribe" option mandatory.

In other words, I'll make the software enforce social standards. "Thou shalt not bounce people's email without first asking them to stop sending." It's common courtesy--but apparently it's not as common as it should be. When we're evaluating spam solutions I think it would be worth while to consider whether or not the follow a normal social path for communications. I think that's a large part of my hatred for challenge/response of any kind. It's extremely unpleasant to spend a considerable amount of time composing a message, researching a problem or doing some other amount of work, put it all together into a note to someone, and then have them come back and say, "Sorry, I'm not going to listen to you until you do something I want first." That's the kind of response I expect from my kids--not an adult.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.