Re: [Asrg] Whitelisting on Message-ID (Was Turing Test ...) honypot plug

2003-04-07 08:04:59
At 9:36 PM -0500 4/6/03, Brad Spencer wrote:
I got into anti-spam by being the operator of an abused open relay. I'd consider it to be a favor to me to blocklist it, when it was open, I'd

I'd consider it a much larger favor to send email to the site administrator *first*, and blacklist only if that has no effect. For any site that is actually being administered, that's going to cleanup the relay far faster than blacklisting would. Blacklisting relies on enough people subscribing to the blacklist that eventually someone at the site won't be able to send email to someone they care about, will recognize what the problem is and report it to the site admin, who will then go to the blacklist site, figure out what the problem is from there and fix their system.

That's an awfully inefficient way to communicate a problem. Certainly puts a different light on the altruism of blacklist operators.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.