[Asrg] Whitelisting on Message-ID (Was Turing Test ...)

2003-04-06 15:13:09
At 3:30 PM -0500 4/6/03, wayne wrote:
However, I think it would be a bit better if a very few high volume
posters such as yourself would start adding either In-Reply-To or
References headers just like the vast majority of posters do.

Sure, everyone can just run right out and patch the binary.

While I won't presume to speak for "we", I will say that I think that
getting legacy mailers to support well long supported and understood
headers is vastly easier than getting everyone to add anything new.

Welcome to the problem of updating MUAs. Where there's no perceived benefit, the changes don't get made. All the commercial mail products seem to find it better to thread by subject--certainly it makes more sense to do so in this forum, where the conversations go on forever (it seems), but the topic constantly changes.

But back the subject. Would whitelisting by plain message-id really work? Certainly seems less intrusive than most systems. I'm not sure what you'd want to do with web archives of conversations though. On the one hand, you'd like people to be able to respond. On the other, you don't want to feed message-ids to spammers. Probably you'd recommend stripping them.

Would you see it as a preliminary way of doing an email address whitelist, to just bypass the need for an initial check--and subsequent new messages from the person would go through as well? And do most MUAs generate their own Message-IDs?
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.