Re: [Asrg] Turing Test ...

2003-04-03 10:10:01
On Thursday, Apr 3, 2003, at 17:06 Europe/London, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

1) How do I distinguish the messages from these robots from spam?
        A lot of them advertise these horrible services.

Use a VERP. Another robot should reply to the VERP, whereas a human
should reply to the Reply-To.

Please explain

OK. But first let me say I hate C/R solutions, so I almost want to not explain and let you continue believing they can't work ;-)

The C/R system sends a challenge with a return address of "cr-respond-bounce(_at_)server(_dot_)com" or something, but a reply-to field of "cr-respond-unique-id(_at_)server(_dot_)com".

If two C/R systems start communicating it stops quickly because the cr bounce handler gets it. The challenge goes into the originators "pending validation" folder, so in order to validate the original he has to find it in that folder. Eventually if everyone uses C/R you might as well have your "pending validation" folder become your inbox.

Ah, I think I've just proved the point that these systems are fundamentally broken in the large scale. Excellent ;-)

Matt.