RE: [Asrg] Challenge to Challenge response

2003-04-22 11:11:49

        S/MIME gives a much higher degree of assurance that the message is
from an authentic recipient than C/R with zero UI overhead. If you whitelist
after the initial C/R you have a very weak authorization system.

Why would it be weak?

If during the challenge response system keys were exchanged (if the challenge were met) so that I could verify through a digital signature that it actually came from the whitelisted individual then it would be very secure. Furthermore, if the whitelisting occurred based on a signed key in the header then the user could use multiple mail clients -- each with the same key/signature and pass the whitelisting test from all the people he has communicated with in the past.

So given that a challenge response system could be set up complete with cryptographic authentication, it should be very secure. Where am I wrong?

You mention that Outlook and Lotus already have S/Mime already in place. Are you also saying that because if this, I get spammed since I am using Eudora and that Outlook and Lotus users do not?

-Art
--
Art Pollard
http://www.lextek.com/