Re: [Asrg] Hello- and my 2 cents

2003-04-23 14:06:06
At 8:43 PM +0100 4/23/03, Jon Kyme wrote:

 There is currently no limit on the number of identities an internet
 user can have.  How are you going to change that?
 --

(Ah, yes, I had missed your point. Which I now take.)

You'll need to answer a question for me:
What is an "identity"?

Not to cop out or anything--but I really don't have a good answer. The balance between privacy, authentication and responsibility are all part of it, and it's not an easy one to strike.

You'd posited that a "sender" gets one shot. So really (as in any whitelisting system), you have to make a decision as to what "sender" means. I'm not fond of whitelisting myself, we support it, but we consider it a patch to deal with a failure in the system. The inability to nail down "identity" is the primary reason I don't like it.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.