RE: [Asrg] Hello- and my 2 cents

2003-04-23 06:14:56

Does "within an ISP" count too?  I'm just wondering what
percentage of
email users work in companies (with internal email systems) compared
to the personal users and people who don't have a corporate mail
system.  My gut tells me the latter is larger, which could be a
problem.

I have dealt with a number of startups, small companies, traveling
executives, and even a local county government department who use
Yahoo/MSN/Hotmail for their organisational email.

This is quite common in several communities. it is not at all unusual
for lawyers to use AOL for their mail. This is no longer so common of
course.

However corporate mail solutions are actually quite rare in terms of
the proportion of users they serve. Most smaller companies buy
email hosting as a service from a provider such as their DNS
registrar or their ISP.

Even if a small company is runing something like exchange the first
point of contact is quite often some sort of MTA gateway running at
the ISP relaying to the local service. There is a small number of
concentration points that the messages pass through.

Mail is a service that most people care a lot about. There are very
few mail services that do not have someone responsible for them on
a daily basis.

                Phill