Re: [Asrg] ESPC Proposal

2003-04-24 18:59:06
In <p06000f1abacdf17b8d58(_at_)[192(_dot_)168(_dot_)1(_dot_)104]> Kee Hinckley
<nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com> writes:

Has anyone seen a formal spec for Lumos?

(Press release here: http://www.networkadvertising.org/espc/042303lumos.asp)

I haven't seen any formal specs, and earlier I looked pretty hard on
their website for it.  I see this as a really bad sign.  If they had
formal specs that weren't laughable, I would expect them to proudly
post them.

I think this "About ESPC" webpage tells you a lot about what "problem"
they really want to solve:
http://www.networkadvertising.org/espc/about_espc.asp
They give two (2) paragraphs on the threat of spam, and seven (7)
paragraphs on the threats of filtering and blacklists.

These folks appear to have a very similar position as the
JamSpamDownYourThroat people.  Does anyone know if they are related?

And, in other news about just how effective DNSBLs are becoming, the
group of florida spammers who are sueing SPEWS, SpamHaus, et al, state
in their legal action that they will go out of business unless these
DNSBLs are stopped.

| 32. Plaintiff will suffer irreparable harm to its business reputation
| and loss of its good will, unless the status quo is maintained. Should
| the Defendants, be allowed to continue their assault upon the Plaintiff
| and the Plaintiff's industry, the Plaintiff's industry will cease to
| exist. This will cause more Americans to become unemployed.

See:
http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3EA760B3.3DCC%40stop-spam.org&rnum=1

-wayne