RE: [Asrg] ESPC Proposal

2003-04-26 16:16:28
Margaret,

        Please ignore Vernon, he has his own agenda which appears to be
something other than solving the spam problem.

        Accountability is something that work both ways in my view. So long
as we have unaccountable individuals running blacklists and such according
to their own predjudices and caprices there is not much incentive on the
part of bulk emailers to participate. It is impossible for anyone to comply
with rules that change to suit the occasion.

        Of course this is not helped by the fact that the US courts have
facilitated SLAPP suits by some of the spam senders. So the result has been
increasing measures to evade accountability on the part of the blacklists.

        I note that our own spam filters are blocking my daily notifications
from Ameritrade and BBC News, despite the fact both were opt-in. We really
need a mechanism for communicating the optin to the MTAs.

                Phill