RE: [Asrg] Re: draft-danisch-dns-rr-smtp-01.txt

2003-04-27 15:11:44
Perhaps you have evidence to support these wild guesses?

Or is it ok for you to promote conclusions based on guesswork while you
refuse to accept firsthand reports of statements at public meetings?

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Vernon Schryver
Sent:   Sun Apr 27 13:13:53 2003
To:     asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject:        RE: [Asrg] Re: draft-danisch-dns-rr-smtp-01.txt

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com>

I doubt it. They suffer hugely from bogus addresses in their domain
space ...

What evidence is there for that assertion?  Logic and all of the
evidence I've seen contradicts it.

The public statements of the parties involved is evidence for
the assertion. Or do we automatically consider any statement
made by or on behalf of a corporation to be automatically
suspect?

Where can I read or hear te public statements of relevant parties
instead of reports of those statements?

I've no doubt that Hotmail and Yahoo would like spam to stop, that
they suffer from the use and as well as the forgery of Hotmail and
Yahoo addresses in spam, and that they said words to that effect.
My doubt is not that they suffer, but concerns how much spam carrying
free provider addresses is forged.  My guess is that no more than 10%
of the spam with Hotmail or other free provider addresses is forged.
If I am right, than the remaining 90% is not forged and accurately
implicates free provider users and would be validated or authenticated
as good by any plausible protocol.

Of course that may not count as evidence to you, I think it does
for most of the members of the group who want to do something
constructive here.

I fail to see how disputing every statement that is made in
absolute terms and demanding proof of the blatantly obvious
is constructive.

I fail to see how the implicit ad-hominem attacks against
yahoo, hotmail and such are constructive. I see absolutely
no reason to doubt the statements they have made that they
want to facilitate a solution to this problem.

I intend no insult to Yahoo and Hotmail for providing free mailboxes.
However, Hotmail and even more Yahoo have been frequently be caught
in intentionally misleading statements.  (Check the Yahoo!Stores sagas,
such as with Jason Vale.)  For example, Hotmail at one time announced
lists of accounts that had been *terminated* for being *forged* into
spam.  A moment's thought shows that was obvious misleading nonsense,
since you don't terminate accounts for forgery by third parties.

I would take this to private email, only since you refuse to
accept private email from me any statement has to be made in
public.

I see no reason why your statement should have been private.  It was
not useful to me personally.