[Asrg] free provider drop-boxes

2003-04-28 08:25:53
Just for the record, there are a some other observations bearing on
how many free provider sender addresses in spam are really forged and
that I've repeatedly failed to mention.

  - in at least some samples, most spam uses free provider drop-boxes
     as sender addresses, despite the fact that addresses at free
     providers are more likely to cause mail to be filtered than other,
     non-spammer domain names.   (as I wrote recently)

  - few if any free providers have terms of service that require mail
     using their domain names be sent from their systems.  Most free
     providers intentionally or otherwise make it impractical to send
     spam from their systems, but very few if any prohibit or even
     discourage what some people mislabel "forgery" or using a free
     provider sender address in mail sent from another domain.  If
     nothing else, this fact implies that many free providers would
     oppose technical mechanisms to compare the identity of the SMTP
     client with the SMTP envelope sender domain.

  - many free providers have deployed mechanisms to inhibit the use
     of computers to create accounts.  That these mechanisms have been
     needed proves that some users have been creating large numbers of
     accounts.  Who else but spammers, and why else except for drop-boxes?

  - I've not counted, but I have noticed variations in the popularity
     of various free providers in spam envelope sender domains.  I've also
     noticed that some free providers (e.g. Outblaze) are very much less
     popular than other free providers (e.g. Yahoo and Hotmail).

Of course, incomparably better and more direct data for the question
would come from people with access to the account records of free
providers.