Re: [Asrg] Proposal for transition to authenticated email

2003-04-29 14:55:55
At 3:44 PM -0400 4/29/03, Ken Hirsch wrote:
From: "Vernon Schryver" <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com>
[...]
 On the other hand, an x.509 cert tells you less than the typical domain
 name whois data even with the best of intentions by all parties.  The
 name and address in domain name whois data is often maliciously bogus
 for spammers.  Why wouldn't the same apply to certs?

Mainly because the certs will cost a lot more than an IP address.  The

I'm still waiting for an explanation of how high-cost certs will work in the real world.

 > That is simply wrong.  All spam carries the unforgeable signature
 of a sending IP address.

Anyone can type in forged headers. Sending a message where it's not possible to detect the forgery is theoretically possible, but I've never seen a documented case. (Which is not to say that I think that signing isn't a good idea, or that I agree with Vernon's claim that figuring out those headers is something that can easily be done by the people who need to do it--but it can be done.)
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.