Re: [Asrg] Proposal for transition to authenticated email

2003-04-30 20:36:17
At 1:44 PM -0600 4/30/03, Vernon Schryver wrote:
 > From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>

 >>  What about the processing load required to deal with verifying
 >>  cryptographic signatures? Will that cause an unacceptable load on very
 >>  large mail installations?

 >Excellent question.  I don't know and I do worry about it.

Cache a mapping between IP's and signatures, and fast track those IPs you know?

Signature of what?  If you trust IP addresses, then you don't need
any crypto mumbojumbo because IP addresses are practically unforgeable.

The IP does not (at the point of receiving a message) give you as much information as crypto, let alone trust. However you could conceive of caching it the IP for a while (just as you cache DNS entries for a while) to avoid decrypting each time. Probably only reliable for the immediate sender to your MTA.

I don't know if it makes sense. That's why there was a question mark at the end.

--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.