Re: [Asrg] Proposal for transition to authenticated email

2003-04-30 05:50:42
From: "Vernon Schryver" <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com>
Why would I pay at least $120 to $360 per year to get your spam-CA to
swear rhyolite.com doesn't send spam?  I've never had a mail blocking
problem.

"I'm not part of the problem.  Why should there be the slightest
inconvenience to me?"

Because the current system is broken.

[...]
Who will enforce that requirement on your CAs?  ISPs and registrars
are ignoring their promises to cut off spammers.

I think that the large ISPs will enforce this.  Spam is getting to be such
an issue that the will is there.  I also think that my solution has the
right granularity of enforcement.  If you decide a CA is not doing its job,
then you treat all mail from associated ISPs as unauthenticated and fall
back to a challenge/response system.  It is a lot less drastic than totally
throwing them off the net or simply blocking all their mail.  The CAs
customers will start screaming.

(I do think there will need to be a blacklist for those who abuse the
challenge/response system.)

Again, why will your program differ from P3P?  The P3P people said there
was supposed to be automated use of it.  Netscape 7 can be told to
pay attention to it.

I haven't seen anything useful that a program can do with P3P.  It is also a
solution to a problem that few people care about.  _Everybody_ hates spam,
but P3P deals with arcane issues that most people just don't care about.

How are you going to encode a declaration of exactly what is sent into
at most a dozen bytes?  Remember that your certs have to be tacked onto
every mail message.

This is a good question.  My guess is that something quite useful can be
done, but this is an issue that needs to be explored in a working group.