Re: [Asrg] Proposal for transition to authenticated email

2003-04-30 04:29:46
From: "Kee Hinckley" <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>
I'm not talking about the technical difficulty.  I'm talking about
the complete infeasibility of this solution from a business
standpoint.  It's an absolute non-starter.  Have you ever done any
work in the commercial email business?

I'm sorry, I have no sympathy.  You're just whining, "I'm not part of the
problem,
why should I bear any inconvenience or expense?"  Because the current system
(anarchy) is broken.

Off the top of the head.

- I don't want my ISP to be able to see who I am sending email to.

They can now. Trivially.

Somehow millions of people manage to deal with the fact that their phone
companies
know whmo they are calling.  The local phone companies don't have any problem
with
the fact that the long distance companies know their customers long distance
destinations.

- I want connections between my mail server and certain peers to be
encrypted and/or verified.

I am not proposing blocking port 25.  The proposal  just says that if you want
send to a participating SMTP server, then you must be a participating SMTP
server,
otherwise each sender will be subject to challenge/response.

Point to point sends would still be available for non-participating servers,
just as
there are still people who use CB radios, Usenet and other anarchic media.

- I want my spam filters, not my ISPs.
- I want my virus filters, not my ISPs.

I didn't say anything about incoming mail, did I?

- I don't want to be limited by my ISPs rate limiting.
- I want my outbound mail to be authenticated (if we ever get to the
point where that is possible) using my domain and my standards--not
my ISPs.

Get over it.  There will be some cost and/or inconvenience if you want your
email to
be treated as first-class mail.

- Current end-user SMTP solutions (e.g. smtp.com) are rate limited.
- Current multi-user SMTP solutions are significantly more expensive
than running your own server.

No ISP I've had has ever rate-limited or charged for out-going mail.

There is no point in making a proposal which starts off with the
assumption that you are going to add major costs to millions of small
businesses and organizations, remove functionality and control from
millions of small businesses and organizations, and assume the
creation of an entire new industry to support them.  Never mind that
the existing MTA vendors would not exactly be pleased to see their
customer base suddenly shrink by several orders of magnitude.  I'm
sure the ASP folks would love the idea--but it's not going to happen.

Wow!  You mean businesses don't like regulation, what a revelation!
Nevertheless,
it often happens.