Re: [Asrg] Proposal for transition to authenticated email

2003-04-30 14:56:20

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Claus Assmann wrote:

Of course there is. You give up control over what happens to your
mail.  I can enforce TLS between hosts as long as I send mail
directly.  I know whether mail is stuck in the queue or whether it
got delivered.  Using an ISPs mailservers requires that their systems
are actually working well and I have enough evidence to doubt that.

Wouldn't TLS traffic go via port 465 in most cases? I don't think any
of the proposals here are intended to regulate anything except port 25.

In any case, for TLS wouldn't you need explicit cooperation from the the
remote MTA, in which case the pair of you could agree to use a port other
than 25. Or is there a way to use TLS when communicating with strangers?