Re: [Asrg] Proposal for transition to authenticated email

2003-04-30 07:02:05
At 7:28 AM -0400 4/30/03, Ken Hirsch wrote:
From: "Kee Hinckley" <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>
 I'm not talking about the technical difficulty.  I'm talking about
 the complete infeasibility of this solution from a business
 standpoint.  It's an absolute non-starter.  Have you ever done any
 work in the commercial email business?

I'm sorry, I have no sympathy. You're just whining, "I'm not part of the problem,
why should I bear any inconvenience or expense?"  Because the current system
(anarchy) is broken.

You are completely missing the point. This has nothing to do with me. This is a business reality. It's like you woke up one day and said, "I've got the solution to pollution! Everyone will junk their cars and use buses!" Sure, it's a solution. But it's not going to happen. You can't force that kind of solution on people, they won't accept it. A small cost (akin to current certs), sure. But the kind of cost, inconvenience, loss of of control and loss of privacy you are discussing? It doesn't meet the ASRG requirements for a system which can be adopted.

 > - I don't want my ISP to be able to see who I am sending email to.

They can now. Trivially.

Not when I'm using SSL.

 > - Current end-user SMTP solutions (e.g. smtp.com) are rate limited.
 - Current multi-user SMTP solutions are significantly more expensive
 than running your own server.

No ISP I've had has ever rate-limited or charged for out-going mail.

Did I say ISP? I told you that business ISPs often provide a pipe and no email service. You told me to use an SMTP service. SMTP services *do* rate limit and they *do* charge for out-going email. That's their business.

You don't see this issue because you aren't a business customer.

--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.