Re: [Asrg] Proposal for transition to authenticated email

2003-04-29 17:31:19
From: "Kee Hinckley" <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>
Anyone can type in forged headers.  Sending a message where it's not
possible to detect the forgery is theoretically possible, but I've
never seen a documented case.  (Which is not to say that I think that
signing isn't a good idea, or that I agree with Vernon's claim that
figuring out those headers is something that can easily be done by
the people who need to do it--but it can be done.)

If people are going to be fined, be kicked off nets, certificates revoked, etc.,
then the evidence that they violated a contract should hold up offline.  Signed
messages have this property.