Re: [Asrg] Protecting Legitimate Commercial Email (was Re: ESPC P roposal)

2003-04-30 15:39:44
On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 06:08:00PM -0400, Barry Shein wrote:
I don't understand your point. You're proposing a mechanism to evade
(simple-minded) detection and thereby declaring victory?

Maybe I didn't make it clear of misunderstood your point.

Example:
We've hosted a mailing list for a "hype" TV production.
The list was strictly double opt-in. The list had about 150000
subscribers. As it was a german production the audience was
german and about 95% of the list members were split among the
two largest german public mail service providers and the largest
telco (providing Internet access also). That made about 40000 messages
each week to each of the three hosts (weekly newsletter).
If they think receiving 40000 messages is too much for them ... no
problem, they can have a sublist, so it's exploded locally.
If they block the list they block legitimate mail traffic for their
customers, for which their customers pay them for receiving it (as part
of their service agreement).

I don't see why we, as an ISP, or our customer should pay for the emails
to be delivered to other ISPs, ASPs, ...

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299