Re: [Asrg] Protecting Legitimate Commercial Email (was Re: ESPC P roposal)

2003-04-30 08:13:25
At 9:23 AM -0400 4/30/03, mathew wrote:
On Monday, Apr 28, 2003, at 14:48 US/Eastern, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
I think you are being too definitive about the ESPC people.

In particular one of their issues is that there is no way they have at
present to tell whether a list a customer gives them is genuinely 'opt-in'
or not.

Sure there is. Make the provider sign a contract stating that the list is genuinely a list of people who have opted in to receive e-mail from the appropriate organization(s). If they turn out to have lied, it's fraud and breach of contract, and you sue them for damages to your business reputation. After you win a few hundred thousand dollars a couple of times, end of problem--nobody's going to risk those kinds of damages to sell you a $1,000 database of e-mail addresses. That's how legitimate businesses do it.

No, that isn't how they do it. Court suits are a last resort. When you've got a customer paying you a couple $100/month to run a list, you aren't going to be able to get that kind of damages. Certainly not enough to cover your court costs. If it were that easy, ISPs would do it when their customers spam. They don't. They don't even do the "We'll charge your credit card $500 if you spam" thing. Why? Because the customer simply disputes the charge, and then you're off to court to try and get $500. You can't win that game.

Furthermore, we're dealing with a market in which there is heavy churn (people get ISP accounts that someone else already had) and heavy forgery on the part of the recipients (Want that free coupon, but don't want to pay with your email address? Make up one!). We've seen stats that as many as a third of the people entering email addresses in subscription forms are lying. Never mind that there are people who search out spamtrap addresses and deliberately subscribe them to lists they don't like. Somewhere.com didn't bounce ten million messages last year because bulkmailers lie. We bounced them because people like you and I lied to bulkmailers.

In that market, how do you prove that the list owner is at fault? About all you have to go on is whether or not there is a pattern of misbehavior.

What we need in this system is some way of restoring trust. Trust by a recipient that they can safely unsubscribe. Trust by a bulkmailer that the list owner has followed best practices. Trust by the list owner that the recipients haven't lied. There's a circle there, and it's broken.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.