Re: [Asrg] Darwin's War

2003-04-30 08:28:57
At 8:03 AM -0600 4/30/03, Vernon Schryver wrote:
 > From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>

 >If had Habeas had decided to arrange things so that most of the people
 >I want to receive mail from could use the Habeas mark, but no spammers
 >lived to do it twice, then Habeas's mark would have been the ticket.

 Okay, I was thinking of a content type marker.  But basically you're
 saying that you'd be willing to receive email if you trusted a third
 party to enforce some set level of accountability on the sender?  And
 that the key to trust is confirmed opt-in?  I'm not clear on where
 you were going with Habeas there.

The occassional references to fancy content marking are entirely wrong.
Our problem is spam, and that is related to consent and volume but not
content.  The contents of mail can be a problem, but we must not even
start to approach the net-nanny business.  We have centuries of experience

Please don't go off on a tangent about censorship. I gave examples of content right up front at the beginning of this conversation.

I have consented to receive email from Amazon.
I want transactional mail and promotional mail.
I don't want promotional mail on my cell phone.
And I certainly don't want my ISP blocking the transactional stuff.

Is that type of content tag useful?
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering